In 4‑H, we believe in the power of young people. We see that every child has valuable strengths and real influence to improve the world around us. We are America’s largest youth development organization—empowering nearly six million young people across the U.S. with the skills to lead for a lifetime.
4-H is a global network of youth organizations whose mission is “engaging youth to reach their fullest potential while advancing the field of youth development”. Its name is a reference to the occurrence of the initial letter H four times in the organization’s original motto ‘head, heart, hands, and health’ which was later incorporated into the fuller pledge officially adopted in 1927. In the United States, the organization is administered by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). 4-H Canada is an independent non-profit organization overseeing the operation of branches throughout Canada. Throughout the world, 4-H organizations exist in over 50 countries; the organization and administration vary from country to country. Each of these programs operates independently but cooperatively through international exchanges, global education programs, and communications.
The 4-H name represents four personal development areas of focus for the organization: head, heart, hands, and health. As of 2007, the organization had over 6.5 million members in the United States, from ages 5 to 18, in approximately 90,000 clubs. The goal of 4-H is to develop citizenship, leadership, responsibility, and life skills of youth through experiential learning programs and a positive youth development approach. Though typically thought of as an agriculturally focused organization as a result of its history, 4-H today focuses on citizenship, healthy living, science, engineering, and technology programs. The 4-H motto is “To make the best better”, while its slogan is “Learn by doing”.
We need Leaders!
Have you ever considered becoming a 4-H leader? Do you know someone who might be interested? This is the time of year when we start looking for new leaders so come on in and talk to either Guinevere or Rachel about getting started. You can start your own club or be a project leader within another club or a county leader. Perhaps you have just the talents we are looking for! It’s a wonderful way to invest in the youth of the community. If you are interested in being a new leader this year you may go to a Volunteer Application Screening Form. Once your background check has been finalized you will need to fill out a Volunteer Enrollment Form. Hope you decide to join us!
View, download, and/or print these helpful resources at your convenience! We also have these resources available in the Extension Office.
- Enrollment Website
- Enrollment Help Sheets
- New Member Packet
- Code of Conduct
- Colorado State University Extension Website
- Enrollment Fee: $30.00, please make checks payable to Custer County 4-H
PLEASE NOTE: Enrollment and fees MUST be paid to the Custer County Extension Office by April 15, 2022 to participate in the 2022 Custer County Fair!
Custer County Clubs (Units)
- Silver Spurs
- Triple C Clovers
- Cloverbuds (5-7)
General 4-H Resources
For more information please visit the Fair tab!
Projects and Contests
- 2022 Project List- Coming Soon
- The project add/drop date is MAY 1st
- Fair Entry Form
- 2022 State Fair Project Requirements- Coming Soon
- 2022 State Fair Contest Information- Coming Soon
- Re-Enrollment: $30.00
- First-time Enrollment: $30.00
- **To be eligible to participate in the Custer County Fair enrollments must be turned in and paid for by APRIL 15th**
- Project Manual Printing: $5.00
- Record Book Printing: $3.00
- Late Record Book Printing (after June 15): $10.00
- Late Fair Entry (after June 15): $5.00
- Tri-Fold Poster Board: $2.00
For more information please contact the Custer County Extension Office:
- By Phone: 719-783-2514
- Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing: PO Box 360 Westcliffe, CO 81252
- In-Person: Upstairs at the Custer County Courthouse located at 205 S. 6th St. Westcliffe, CO 81252
- On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/custer4h